Monday, March 17, 2008

I've Been Busy

Why do we have to be defined by what we do for a living?

Is it because we spend most of our lives doing it?

Funny, I remember things I do out of the office more than what I do during my 8 hour work day. I cherish those things. My job isn't my life and I like that balance.

But try having this conversation with your dad who thinks that a way to live comfortably is to make at least 200,000 (if you're married and that's each spouse making 100,000) dollars a year. My kind of comfortable is shopping at Target, discount stores, and driving my Honda Civic. His kind of comfortable is cruising around in his two seater Lexus convertible, shopping at Whole Foods, and wearing strictly Tommy Bahama shirts.

And that's his prerogative, to value his money.

So why can't it be mine to go off and do what I want. Or at least try what I want. Why do I feel so caught up in status and why do I have to be such a pleaser?

We all have our faults.

No comments: